Friday, May 19, 2006

Books I want to read.

Fiction:
Becoming Strangers by Louise Dean
Company by Max Barry
The Thin Place by Kathryn Davis
Intuition by Allegra Goodman
Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro

The book I just finished:

Jar City by Arnaldur Indridason, a Reykavic Thriller. Three stars. To be fair, police procedurals aren't my thing, and I wouldn't have been interested in it, except for its Icelandic setting. I felt less than completely engaged, but somehow kept up with the story line enough to finish it. The setting is well-done. It transported me back to Iceland, not as much because of the frigid September weather, but more because the daughter reminded me of the young people I met in Iceland. To be honest, I didn't connect much with any of the characters. It was a plot-driven book, written sparely, without much inner dialogue. It was a commentary of sorts on the repercussions of the geneological database in Iceland, and that part was interesting. The idea of an Icelandic murder mystery initially struck me as a bit of an oxymoron, as I recently read that their murder rate in 1998 was 0.00 in 100,000 and remains close to zero.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home